Monday, January 11, 2010

Kids Are Overrated

So, to put it out there, I don't have kids.  I am not in the market for them currently, eventually so that my mom will finally have a grandkid to brag about, but not anytime soon.  So I am one of those people who considers their dogs their kids.  Now, don't get the crazy idea that I dress them up or throw them birthday parties, that's absurd.  But I snuggle with them and play and talk to them and verbalize their internal monologue while I tell them to stay away from the fence. 

My oldest will be 6 years old this year.  She is the sweetest, calmest, and most lovable girl ever.  Her name is Cadence, even though the vet seems to think that her name is Candace, but I correct them everytime.  My husband and I adopted her from the local shelter in Greenville, NC while we were in college at East Carolina University. (GO PIRATES!, ps. thanks for choking in the bowl game:)  We saw her outside the PetsMart and just fell in love.  We took her home and she settled right in.  She slept in our bed from day one and hardly ever had an accident in the house.  As time progressed and she got older we noticed that she started losing her hair.  It turned out that while being born in the shelter she contracted demodectic mange which caused her skin to itch and she ate her hair off from her midsection back to her tail.  She was still very happy and just looked like she wasn't wearing any pants for several months.  She is now healthy and happy and the number one girl in my life.




Now, for my second child, he turned two just last year and is the biggest lap dog I have ever had.  We adopted him again from a rescue organization, Paw Match, here in Austin.  He was a sweet little puppy who just stole my heart while going into PetSmart.  His name is Chino and named after the singer from the Deftones.


How could you not love that little face.  He came home with us and proceeded to annoy the ever living shiza out of the older dog.  He would nip and try to get Cadence to play but she would have none of it.  Eventually she would come around and they would snuggle and love on each other.  But they still get into the occasional squabble and Cadence will put him in his place.  He is the sweetest dog who wants nothing more than to sit in your lap and snuggle.  When my husband is away for a night Chino is always my substitute spooner.



So, these are my kids, they are only second to my husband, but these two have my heart and make my day better.  Even though they talk back and have such attitude when I tell them to stay away from the kids who harrass them in the back yard.  But I love them, attitude and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment